Olympus just announced their new waterproof TG-3.
The company has built a strong franchise in toughened point-shoot cameras, leading the class for years.
TG-3 sports several cool new features:
– Built in ring-light for macro shots
– Ring light also makes for cool (close up) portraits
– BUILT IN WI-FI! (why all new cams don’t have BIWF, I’ll never know)
– Remote control from your iOS or Android device
Muscling in on Lytro’s territory, TG-3 offers Focus Stacking. The cam will take 8 photos at varying focus points, then blend them together to get a single well-focused image. You’ll be glad to have this feature if you’re shooting close-ups (aka Macro). Add this to the really cool built-in ring light, and you’ll be stunning your friends with detailed shots of a single coral polyp, reveal the subtle texture of a single corn flake, etc.
As with earlier TG cams from Olympus, the TG-3 is:
– Waterproof to 50 ft
– Shock proof for drops up to 7ft
– Can work at temps as low as 14F
– A rhino could step on it, and it won’t crush (well, something like that)
You can pre-order at B&H Photo (where Memento buys all its equipment). Should be available in May if not sooner.